I officially have FONR: Fear Of Not Racing. Being closely related to FOMO it has manifest itself into signing up for every race in 2013 that I hear about on twitter or through friends. I don’t want to miss out on a great race medal and the more friends I make who run, the more races I now want to run. It’s simple friendship math.
In my opinion there’s no better reward for a winter of running home in the dark, and plodding the wet streets on a Sunday morning than standing at the start line of an organised race. I love the stress and excitement of all the planning that goes into getting to the start line of a race (what to wear, what bus will get me there, how long will bag drop take…) and it seems like such a luxury to go for a run with the route all planned out for you, that has water ready for you, AND a medal at the end. Plus, you are guaranteed to be captured looking your best.
Here are the races I’ve been FONR’d into singing up for this year
- Giulietta & Romeo Half Marathon 1:55:40 (PB)
- Greenwich Meridian 10k DNS due to sickness
- Energizer Night Run 10k Saturday April 13, 2013
- London to Brighton Night Ride Saturday July 13, 2013
- Royal Windsor Trail Half Marathon Sunday May 26, 2013
- Islandsbanki Reykjavik Half Marathon Saturday August 24, 2013
- Royal Parks Half Marathon Sunday October 6, 2013
Here are the races my FONR is hoping I sign up for
- Tow Down Up Flow Half Marathon Sunday July 28, 2013
- London Duathalon Saturday September 15, 2013
- Women’s Running 10k Race Series London Saturday September 7, 2013
- Nike Run to the Beat Half Marathon ?? September, 2013
It’s already a lot of running (and money) spent on races so I have to think about what to save for next year. With 2 international runs and a dip into cycling, I think I have enough on my plate for 2013.